Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New York City

Well it finally happened, after all my years of seeing it on TV and in movies and reading about it in my fashion magazines I actually got to visit New York City and it was awesome! We left Ty with grandma which ended up being the longest I've ever been without him and I only started missing him when we were on the train home and there was a little turd burgler running up and down the aisles about his age which is exactly what Ty would have been doing had he been with us. I know it may be weird but one of my favorite parts of the day was when we first got off the train at about 10:30 and hit our first bar. We met the coolest bar tender from Ireland. He gave us free drinks and a free ticket to the Empire State building. He told us all about the city and how much he hated St.Patricks day because it was the worst holiday to work in a bar in NYC and be Irish. He said it was the one day a year he had an American accent. I guess I was just expecting everyone to be so rude and the first person we met was so pleasant (and hot) that I wanted to stay all day and be his friend. Patrick and I travel a lot which is one of the things I love most about us. We travel really well together too, no fighting just good times. Another thing about our travels is that it usually revolves around bars. Hey what can I say some people have golf courses (my parents) others historical landmarks, Patrick and I have bars oh and sporting events (I forgot most trips also revolve around seeing sports). But we still see sights and do fun things special to the particular city so I love going on vacation and this one was awesome! I need to go back though and stay longer, I didn't get to go to China Town and I want a fake purse. Anywho here's my picture overload I tried to take a lot because when I went to Europe for 3 weeks I seriously came back with like 30 pictures I did not want that to happen again (in all fairness I didn't have a digital camera yet in Europe so I was rolling with film but still 30 pictures come one!!)
One of the last pictures taken of the day. I know I'm out of focus but the Empire State Building looks awesome. I think we had just walked out of a TGI Fridays on Times Square (give me a break we were just getting one last quick drink before the train ride back, plus its not a vacation unless we drink at a Fridays. Our relationship was developed in a Fridays, it has a special meaning to us)


First stop of the day. Since we had very limited time Patrick felt that I could knock out a lot of what I wanted to see from the top of the building thru those binocular things however neither of us had 50 cents to use them but I did still see everything, just not up close. 


This is in the movie Elf hehe its the first thing I thought of when I saw it. 

There's the Brooklyn bridge in the distance. NYC is just massive. I mean I always new it was big but actually seeing it is just awe inspiring. It reminded me so much of Paris. 

And theres Lady Liberty. The teeny tiny dot on the island in the water 

The building to the left of her under construction is the One World Trade Center building being put up in the place of  the old Twin Towers. I really wanted to see the 9-11 memorial but I will next time, this time it was just too far away and really the big Christmas tree was my main priority. 



One of my favorite pictures of the day and my current Facebook profile pic. Patrick took it and the flashing of the horns was a last minute thing I decided to throw in. 

The Chrysler Building

Another one of my favorite pictures snapped by someone who barely spoke English but was picked by me because he had his own fancy camera. I looked at everyone before I asked for the picture to make sure they had their own nice camera and wouldn't steal mine. Old habit from Europe due to my irrational fear of gypsies. 




Here she is in all her glory, the Rockerfeller Tree. This is what I came to see and to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed by it. It wasn't nearly as big and pretty in person at it is on TV. However I did find out later from Patrick's parents that the original tree they had put up was blown over during the hurricane NYC had so this was a replacement one. 

The Today Show studios. Oh one of the coolest things about seeing all this was the next day when I was watching the Today show I saw it all again and I said "hey, I've seen that in person" 








The famous ice skating rink this was way smaller then you would think it was. It always looks so big on TV I guess its like Patrick says, its all about the camera angles. 



St. Patrick's Cathedral










Who knew they had a Home Depot in the city? Look how fancy it is, my husband was very excited. 


So that's it, our Christmas Eve trip into New York City. I had so much fun spending time with Patrick and getting to see everything! Oh and a few more things that I need to put in here so I don't forget, the drinks and cabs were way cheaper then I thought they were going to be way less than Vegas or Chicago. The people weren't rude, it could have been because it was Christmas though. They did curse quite a bit, every other word out of their mouth was the F word so I now see where Patrick gets it.

No comments:

Post a Comment